Have you ever struggled with acne, patchy white skin, or some other uncomfortable condition that seemed to only get worse the more you doted on it? If that is the case, you might find that this is exactly the article for you.
Contrary to popular belief, the solution to most skin problems is not extensive skincare. Instead, it is careful cleanliness and damage control that will best help manage such conditions. Allow us to help you find the best antibacterial soap to get you started.
But first, why go for antibacterial soaps in the first place?
The Benefits of Antibacterial Soaps
When it comes to washing away dirt and harmful microorganisms from your skin, simple soap works perfectly well. In fact, according to the FDA, there is not a world of difference between the two. In everyday circumstances, either soap works just as well.
However, some people suffer from bacterial skin infections or work in unsanitary or high-risk environments, for instance, hospitals. Moreover, despite having no underlying conditions, some people find themselves more prone to recurrent bacterial infections.
It is, therefore, a healthy precaution to use antibacterial soaps. Here are some immediate benefits worth considering.
They effectively wash away harmful bacteria from your skin surfaces. This leads to better skin health in general.
Less Risk of Infections
Bacteria-free hands reduce the risk of ingesting harmful organisms with food and thus helps prevent gastrointestinal tract infections.
Reduced Risk of Bacteria Transmission
The risk of transmission of bacteria from one person to the other is also considerably reduced. Antibacterial soaps are often found in hospitals where the risks of infection are higher.
Antibacterial soaps might help reduce the incidence of pimples by washing away Cutibacterium acnes, the pimple-causing bacterium.
Your skin is constantly teaming with bacteria. While many have a protective function, others are known to cause harm. One way to consciously take care of your skin is to use the antibacterial towel by Mizu.
Finding the Best Antibacterial Soap For Your Skin
We have curated a list of the ten best antibacterial soaps for you. All work quite effectively. However, personal preferences and limitations differ from person to person.
Although these soaps are for all skin types, it is important to find the right fit.
Word of caution: when picking the best antibacterial soap, be careful to check the chemical composition for any substances that you might be allergic to.
1. Softsoap Antibacterial Liquid Handsoap
Available in fresh citrus scent, the Softsoap Antibacterial Liquid Handsoap is one of the most frequently bought and used antibacterial soaps. The antioxidant effects of green tea extract further make it an attractive option.
- Clinically proven to eliminate 99.9% of harmful bacteria in a handwashing test against S. aureus and E. coli
- Has a pH balance that helps reign in skin moisture
- Eco-friendly packaging and product
- Not meant for people allergic to ginger root or mandarin oil
- The sharp citrus smell might be bothersome to some.
2. Dial Antibacterial Deodorant Bar Soap
Alongside its antibacterial actions, the Dial Antibacterial Deodorant Bar Soap also provides long-lasting deodorant protection.
- Forms a heavy lather that protects skin moisture during washing
- Deodorant protection formula; helps you feel fresh throughout the day
- Promises long-lasting antimicrobial effects
- Deodorant protection formula might be irritating to some skin types
- May cause acne due to coconut acid, which is comedogenic
3. Dettol Anti-Bacterial Bar Soap
The Dettol Anti-Bacterial Bar Soap is known to be highly effective. Many people have been using it in homes and offices for a very long time.
- Claims to provide superior, long-lasting germ protection
- Helps you feel clean and re-energized for hours
- Pleasant orange smell
- Fragrance; not meant for people intolerant to citrusy smells
4. Hibiclens Antimicrobial Skin Liquid Soap
The Hibiclens Antimicrobial Skin Liquid Soap comes in minimalistic packaging and composition. Consisting of only the very essential ingredients, it proves to be effective without raising the risk for any sort of skin reaction.
- Has antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties
- Claims to maintain its effects for up to 6 hours after washing
- Gentle to the skin despite multiple washes
- Might cause irritation and sensitisation with certain skin types
5. Derma-nu Antifungal Soap and Antibacterial Body Wash
The Derma-nu Antifungal Soap and Antibacterial Body Wash is a rich, organic antibacterial soap with a multitude of redeeming features. Moreover, it is your go-to in case you are suffering from certain bacterial or fungal infections.
- Advisable in conditions like athlete's foot, ringworm, psoriasis, jock itch, acne, toenail and nail fungus, yeast, and other body and skin irritations
- All ingredients are organic with no synthetic modifications.
- Enriched with essential oils like tea tree and peppermint oils, which provide comfort to irritated and itchy skin.
- Not meant for people intolerant to tea tree or peppermint oils and may cause skin reactions
6. Cuticura Deep Cleansing Face and Body Soap
Widely recommended by dermatologists, Cuticura Deep Cleansing Face and Body Soap is a simple but effective antibacterial soap. As it can be used safely both on the face and the body, it is an ideal antibacterial soap to have on hand for everyday use.
- Claims to help smoothen skin and reduce blemishes
- Highly recommended by dermatologists
- Might not be suitable for the face for some people
7. NUTRI-Logics Colloidal Silver Soap
The NUTRI-Logics Colloidal Silver Soap is a blend of fresh, organic ingredients. It is an antibacterial soap that is soothing for both your senses and your skin. Moreover, it contains sunflower oil and multiple fruit extracts, packing a generous amount of nutrition for your skin.
- Promises blemish-free skin with continued use
- Improves general skin health and reduces acne outbreaks
- Protects against bacteria and fungi
- Has deep-cleansing and exfoliating properties
- Has the maximum infusion of any silver soap
- Not be used in case of any allergies to the multiple natural ingredients in the soap
8. Dove Beauty Bar For All Skin Types
The Dove Beauty Bar For All Skin Types is one of the most widely used antibacterial soaps. Known for its reliability and efficacy, the brand is preferred by people trying to shift towards antibacterial soaps.
- Claims to get rid of 99% of bacteria and microbes
- Skin-nourishing formula alongside antibacterial properties
- Has 1/4th moisturizing cream, unlike other soaps
- Does not dry your skin
- The surfactant in the soap might leave the skin tight and itchy
9. Safeguard Liquid Hand Soap
Known as one of the first antibacterial soaps introduced to the market, the Safeguard Liquid Hand Soap is often considered the standard. Moreover, as healthcare professionals and chemists alike heavily endorse its virtues, it is one of the safest choices for antibacterial soap.
- Uses the micellar deep cleansing mechanism
- No adverse effects result from long-term and frequent use
- Dermatologically endorsed by the Skin Health Alliance
- The slightly chemical smell might be an issue for some
10. Greenerways Antibacterial Hand Soap
Made with aloe vera and free of any strong, harmful chemicals, Greenerways Antibacterial Hand Soap is one of the most soothing options.
- Protecting you from bacteria
- Moisturizes your skin
- Does not contain any sulfates
- Contains aloe vera that has natural healing properties; very soothing to the skin
- Cruelty-free and vegan-friendly
- Some skin types may show adverse reactions to aloe vera
Healthy Habits to Adopt
It is important to understand that simply replacing a bar of soap in your home with an antibacterial one would not prove magical.
As we discussed before, there is not much of a difference between washing with either kind of soap. The key is to adopt habits that will ensure the effectiveness of the products you are using.
An antibacterial towel is a worthy investment in this regard. Our recommendation would be the highly effective Mizu antibacterial towel. Not only does it help you keep track of your cleanliness, but it also has the perfect quality-to-price ratio.
Here is a list of other healthy habits to ensure protection against any infections.
- Wash your hands according to the CDC guidelines. How thoroughly and frequently you wash your hands determines the effectiveness of the soap.
- Use clean utensils for your meals. Always keep them covered when not in use.
- Try to not change clothes frequently and wash them with antimicrobial detergents.
- Always make sure that you cough and sneeze into your elbow. Do not use your hands as that increases the risk of transmission to other people.
- Make sure to regularly clean your house and disinfect the surfaces of common use.
- Do not make a habit of sharing personal items like hairbrushes, toothbrushes, undergarments, razors, and other personal care products with other people.
There is a wide variety of antimicrobial products on the market. Especially since the COVID-19, we have seen a surge in disinfectant, soap, and sanitizer businesses. New products are cropping up each day as people realize the exact importance of clean living.
Although not life-saving, antibacterial soaps are a good investment in our current environment. We hope this article helped you find the best antimicrobial soap for yourself.
Always remember: there can be no compromise on health.